Bentonite Microcol Alpha (1 kg)
Laffort Bentonite Microcol Alpha
High quality natural sodium bentonite with a high adsorption capacity, intended for protein stabilisation in wines and must over a large pH range.
Qualified for the elaboration of products for direct human consumption in the field of the regulated use in Oenology. In accordance with the current EU regulation n° 2019/934.
MICROCOL® ALPHA is a clay belonging to the sheet-structured montmorillonite group. In solution in water, it produces a gel of varying density, with negative surface charges, explaining bentonite’s reactivity with regard to wine proteins.
MICROCOL® ALPHA has been selected for its highly specific œnological criteria:
- Stabilising properties in regard to heat-sensitive proteins on a wide pH spectrum.
- Stabilising the load through time.
- Clarifying capacity and proportion of lees (high clarifiying power).
- Aromatic preservation.
- Colour preservation.
- Aspect: granulates
- Colour: light grey
- SiO₂ (indicative value) (%): ≈ 57
- Al2O₃ (indicative value) (%): ≈ 22
- Compacted (g/cm³): ≈ 1.2
- Not compacted (g/cm³): ≈ 1.0
- pH (5%): 4.7/10
- Humidity (%): < 5 - 15
- Citric acid neutralisation (mEq/100 g): < 250
- Breathable crystalline silica (%): < 0.3
- Large particles (%): < 8
- Calcium & magnesium (mEq/100 g): < 100
- Sodium (g/kg): < 10
- Lead (ppm): < 5
- Mercury (ppm): < 1
- Arsenic (ppm): < 2
- Iron (ppm): < 600
- Aluminium (g/kg): < 2.5
Protocol for use
- 10 to 80 g/hL (100 to 800 ppm), according to the proteic
- In the case of young red wines, MICROCOL® ALPHA enables unstable colouring matter to be eliminated (5 to 10 g/hL /50 - 100 ppm).
Dissolve the MICROCOL® ALPHA in roughly 10 times its weight in water, stirring continuously and vigorously for 2 hours. Leave to hydrate for 12 - 24 hours. Mix vigorously in order to obtain a homogenous preparation before incorporating into the tank during homogenising stirring. It is recommended to use hot water (50°C / 122°F) to optimise rehydration.
Using an OENODOSEUR allows for injection into the wine to be treated.
- Store above ground level in a dry area not liable to impart odours. Ensuring stock is kept at a moderate temperature, in its original, unopened packaging.
- Optimal date of use: 4 years.
- Do not use opened packaging.
- 1 kg bag